Where does your little bunny lay its furry head? Certainly, whether your rabbit is kept as an indoor or outdoor pet, its sleep area will need to be someplace warm, dry and comfortable. The best bedding for rabbits fits all those criteria, allowing your playful friend to get the restful and restorative sleep it needs.
To ensure that, you will have to choose the right type of bedding material to suit both you and your little one – your bunny’s health and happiness could depend on it!
Things to Consider When Buying Bedding for Rabbits
Some of the best types of bedding are made from organic material formed into pellets. Among the most commonly used materials are paper, wheat grass and wood shavings. These are typically
- Digestible and Nontoxic. In case the rabbit decides to take a nibble.
- Easy to Clear Away. Which means you won’t be tempted to put off tidying up.
- Compostable. And thus environmentally friendly.
- Good at Controlling Odors. Especially when rabbits are kept indoors.
Top 6 Bedding for Rabbits Chart
|1. Small Pet Select Jumbo Natural Paper Bedding, 178 L||Paper||$$$$||4.6|
|2. carefresh Complete Pet Bedding||Paper||$$||4.5|
|3. Carefresh Pet Bedding||Wood Pulp||$||4.3|
|4. Healthy Pet HPCC Natural Bedding, 30-Liter||Paper||$$||4.3|
|5. Kaytee Clean and Cozy Small Animal Bedding||Remnants of Hygiene Products||$||4.2|
|6. Kaytee Wood Pellets, 25 Pound Bag||Wood Pellets||$$$||4.0|
Bedding for Rabbits Shopping Tips
As you shop around for what will make the best bedding for rabbits, bear in mind how you feel about your own bed! It’s clean and cozy, right? Same goes for your rabbit’s bedding. While there are many great options out there, here are some bedding options to avoid:
- Sawdust. It is simply too dusty and the small particles will irritate your rabbits eyes and nose.
- Old or Dusty Straw and Hay. While both straw and hay make great bedding for rabbits (especially when used atop wood shavings), be careful of the type of straw or hay you choose. They can be just as dusty as sawdust and perhaps even moldy, creating health issues for your pet.
- Newspaper. Many rabbit owners use shredded newspaper in their pet’s sleeping area. If you decide to go this route, the best advice is to use it as the bottom layer with some other form of bedding material on top. Rabbits may nibble at the paper, with the ink making them ill if they eat too much of it.
Top 3 Best Bedding for Rabbits Reviews
With the ability to expand to up to three times its size, Small Pet Select Premium Soft Virgin Paper Bedding is super absorbent, indeed! The paper in this bedding is unbleached and has no ink residue since it has never been printed on.
The fact that it is virgin paper means there are no “post-consumer” contents for pet owners to worry about. That said, some reviews point to the fact that recycled paper would be more environmentally friendly.
Manufacturers of Small Pet Select Premium Soft Virgin Paper Bedding assure customers that it is 100% natural and safe for their pets. It adds to the coziness of sleeping area by being softer and much less dusty than many other types of bedding.
The highpoint for reviewers of the Carefresh Complete Pet Bedding is how well it controls odors. Its odor-blocking strength is made even more appealing by the fact that this bedding carries no scents of its own.
Other positives about the Carefresh Complete are that it is very absorbent (three times more so than shavings, according to the manufacturer) and it is 99% dust free. The high absorbency plus the odor control means you’ll be using less of the bedding and changing it much less frequently.
Since it is practically dust-free, when you do have to clean up after your furry little friend, that chore won’t be such a chore!
If you or your little bunny likes to make a fashion statement, then Carefresh Pet Bedding Colors is the way to go! This bedding comes is a range of bright colors and white. Use the colors individually or go for a mix to brighten different areas of the hutch.
The manufacturers assure customers that the colors will neither run nor stain (under normal conditions), although a few reviewers mention problems with these same issues. Most reviews of the Carefresh Pet Bedding Colors do agree, however, that it does a pretty good job of controlling odors.
The non-toxic dyes it contains help to put your mind at ease about choosing this colorful bedding option. It is also biodegradable and small quantities may be flushed away for easy cleaning.