A puppy can be an entertaining, adorable and lovable companion, but they also require a lot of time and attention, especially in those first months, in order to shape their behavior as an adult dog. There are certain items that help encourage your dog’s development and encourage good behavior that will persist into adulthood – one of these items is a chew toy.
Toys help keep dogs stimulated and engaged and are an essential product for any animal household, but certain types of toys are more beneficial to puppies than others. It is highly advisable to keep a few chew toys on hand for your puppy as they help encourage development and soothe sore gums.
- Considerations for Puppy Chew Toys
- Top 10 Best Chew Toys for Puppies
- Type of Chew Toy
- Top 3 Best Chew Toys for Puppies Reviews
- [easyazon_link asin=”B00V6YQ5ZS” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]1. “Power Chomper” by Mavel[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link asin=”B00M4NZNF8″ locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]2. Nylabone Holiday Wishbone[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link asin=”B000HHMAXG” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]3. KONG Puppy Binkie Dog Toy[/easyazon_link]
Considerations for Puppy Chew Toys
- Teething. Puppies, like babies, go through a teething stage between 8 weeks and 6 months (sometimes even longer) that can result in them chewing up your whole house. Puppies gums during this period are sore and chewing can help his baby teeth fall out and for adult ones to come in, it also helps develop a young dogs jaw muscles and is a natural instinct that they can’t suppress.
- Why Buy a Chew Toy? Toys help fight boredom and provide comfort for a dog when left alone, in this context they’re an ideal training tool as you acclimatize your puppy to being alone in the house.
Beyond that, chew toys have been proven to help prevent your puppy from developing problem behaviors, it keeps their drive to chew under control and helps tackle separation anxiety and excessive barking. If the toys you’re purchasing are entertaining then it can keep your pet engrossed mentally and physically meaning they are less likely to create mischief for attention.
- Attention Span. Puppies have short attention spans and are quick to discard new objects. When buying a new chew toy you should consider the textures and sensations of the product as the more stimulation your puppy has the longer they will persist with their new toy.
Top 10 Best Chew Toys for Puppies
Type of Chew Toy
Different types of chew toy are beneficial to your puppy at different stages of the teething process. If their teeth are only just coming through a softer toy will be more comforting as it will be easier on their sore gums, thus encouraging chewing to alleviate any pain.
When their teeth are through more and they are fully in the chomping stage, this is when you should bring out the harder, rubber toys. Not only will they help your dog’s new found desire to chew everything in sight, but the rubber will help strengthen their jaw muscles and teeth so you can feel confident your puppy is growing up happily and healthily.
Top 3 Best Chew Toys for Puppies Reviews
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B00V6YQ5ZS” cloaking=”default” height=”333″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61kttrrLblL._SL1500_.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”330″]Toy For Dogs Puppies – Top Cool Rubber Dog Chew Toy – Best for Aggressive Chewers- Small Medium Large Dogs Breeds – “Power Chomper” by Mavel. (Only available in BLUE color)[/easyazon_image]
This comes first on the list of best puppy chew toys as it is specifically designed for dogs that love to chew and helps your teething pup. The centre of the toy is covered in rubber spikes and ridges so as to help keep their teeth clean and grind down the plaque that can build up during their early years.
It’s designed with puppies in mind, so the size is perfect for your dog and is designed to strengthen your jaw by encouraging them to chew. It keeps your puppy entertained and you find that you can now play with your pet without fear of getting chewed on – they just focus on the toy instead.
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B00M4NZNF8″ cloaking=”default” height=”500″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51GSOn120rL.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”200″]Nylabone Holiday Petite Green Wishbone Puppy Dog Chew Toy, Peppermint Flavor[/easyazon_image]
Perfect for a dog that destroys toys, unlike the ‘Power Chomper’ this can help your puppy in a different way, the material is slightly softer so it helps soothe teething sore gums and although humans can’t smell it, it comes in a variety of different flavors. You might notice an increased interest in this toy compared to others because of this, as the flavoring encourages your puppy to chew thus helping their teeth.
Nylabone toys are made of durable materials so they always seem to last longer than the average chew toy and the textures ingrained into the design gives you puppy new stimulus that helps keep them interested for longer. Particularly bite-happy puppies usually go through chew toys quickly, which is why if you have a dog like that this is a great product to help them through their teething stages.
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B000HHMAXG” cloaking=”default” height=”348″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41w6AoMDezL.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”300″]KONG Puppy Binkie Dog Toy, Medium (Colors Vary)[/easyazon_image]
This is ranked as third on the best chew toys for puppies list and is adorably shaped like a pacifier which gives you a giggle as you watch your puppy play. Beyond that, it helps promote proper chewing behavior, giving your dog something to focus on rather than chew anything they see around the house and is specially designed for puppies between 15 and 35 pounds. This could be the perfect first toy to keep your pet entertained.
If you’re already familiar with the reputable Kong company then you know this is a good choice in terms of brand, but the company have made this particular toy exclusively from a puppy Kong rubber formula which is more flexible and therefore more soothing on a teething dog’s already painful gums.
Puppies, like babies, have a short attention span when it comes to new things but Kong have taken that into account and the shape encourages the toy to bounce unpredictably meaning your puppy will be entertained for longer.