6 Best Dental Chews for Dogs 2020
Our website is supported by our users. We sometimes earn affiliate links when you click through the affiliate links on our websiteContact us for Questions
Regular dental care for your dog is just as important as regular dental care for yourself! The cleaning method, however, is completely different.
For some, brushing the dog’s teeth manually isn’t an option. The dog might not like you handling their teeth and gums and you may not even want to try brushing them. The next best thing?
A dental chew.
- Things to Keep in Mind When Buying Dental Chews
- Top 6 Dental Chews for Dogs Table
- Types of Chews
- Dried Pig Ears
- Top 3 Best Dental Chews for Dogs Reviews
- [easyazon_link asin=”B00D1ZT3H2″ locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]1. GREENIES Dental Chews[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link asin=”B00626UCAY” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]2. Ark Naturals – Breath[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link asin=”B00BYVXARO” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]3. Paragon Whimzees Toothbrush[/easyazon_link]
Things to Keep in Mind When Buying Dental Chews
Here are a few things to remember before you choose a dental chew for your pooch:
- Size of Dog. Get a dental chew that is appropriate for the dog so that you avoid choking hazards. They should be able to chew the item rather than swallow it because this is not intended as a snack but as a teeth-cleaning tool.
They range from extra small to extra-large, which means there is something for everyone, from Toy Poodle to Saint Bernard.
- Allergies. Make sure you read the ingredients label carefully before you select, especially if your dog is allergic to certain ingredients.
Top 6 Dental Chews for Dogs Table[ws_table id=”44″]
Types of Chews
There are two mains types of chews available for dogs: rawhide and biscuits/treats.
- Rawhide. The most natural way to go is a rawhide chew. They’re made from dried animal skin (usually cow or horse), but make sure you buy the right kind. Some are shredded bits of skin that have added ingredients that aren’t healthy for dogs (usually in order to make them into a certain shape or to add color). Watch out for high amounts of salt!
Number 6 is a good choice.
- Biscuits/Treats. Manmade treats are specially formulated especially for dogs.
A quality biscuit or treat is made of natural ingredients without excessive amounts of additives while effectively cleaning dogs’ teeth and gums.
Dried Pig Ears
Some opt for dried pig ears, which is another natural chew option that might be right for your dog.
These help dogs prevent plaque and tartar buildup, but be careful about the size you choose as some large breed dogs might be able to swallow them in a few bites rather than gnaw on them.
For decent pig ears, check out number 5 on our list.
Top 3 Best Dental Chews for Dogs Reviews
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B00D1ZT3H2″ cloaking=”default” height=”250″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/710GosF-3SL.SP500.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”250″]
Greenies are by far the best dental chews for dogs and the most popular choice among dog owners. They work!
With one greenie a day, you’ll help your dog prevent plaque and tartar buildup as well as fight bad breath without filling them with tons of extra calories.
The ingredients used are easy for dogs to digest and contain the right amount of vitamins and minerals that won’t add excessive amounts of calories to your dog’s diet.
Greenies lists the amount of calories the treats contain (based on the size of the treat) so you know how much you’re giving to your dog and they come in various sizes.
We realize that these might not be the right choice for all dogs and dog owners, which is why we have a few other options for you. Keep reading!
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B00626UCAY” cloaking=”default” height=”250″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91ntTcDP8kL.SP500.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”200″]
This is another dental chew treat that dogs and owners love, and the fact that it is free of wheat, corn, soy, yeast, artificial colors, artificial flavors and preservatives makes it a great Greenie alternative.
It has two layers: the outside layer is made of a mixture of flavors like chlorophyll, cinnamon, vanilla and clove to help freshen breath and the inside contains a specially formulated toothpaste that helps control plaque, tartar and bacteria.
These cost a bit more than some of the other options, but it’s well worth it if you want to avoid dental problems (and expensive vet bills) later on!
Again, these work great for some dogs but some dogs just don’t like the taste. You won’t know until you try!
Check out the next option.
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B00BYVXARO” cloaking=”default” height=”250″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/910vLDV-2mL.SP500.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”250″]
Whimzees are a potato-based treat that contain no wheat or gluten and they’re low in fat. No added chemicals or meat by-products, either!
These are very good at fighting plaque and tartar and most dogs enjoy the flavor immensely.
Again, your dog will let you know which is the right chew toy for them. Keep an eye on their digestive habits after introducing new chew toys and if you notice any negative effects, stop giving the chews immediately!
This is a great product if the other two aren’t right for you and your dog, and you can also check out the other three options on our list above.
All excellent choices!