While it may be no fun for you to discover that your dog has worms, it is even more unpleasant for you dog.
Thankfully, there are plenty of great dewormer products available that can help rid your dog if these pesky little creatures, and in our guide below, we will help you understand how to find the best dewormer for dogs.
Before You Select a Dewormer
Here are a few important things to remember when selecting a dewormer for your dog:
- Make Sure It Is Specifically for Dogs. Dogs should only be given dewormer that is specifically for them. It is not safe, for example, to give them a dewormer that is formulated for another species (horse, cat, etc.).
- Choose Based on Dog’s Size, Weight and Age. Just like with any other type of medication, the dose needs to be appropriate based on the dog’s size, weight and in some cases, the age (as with puppies, for example).
All of the brands we feature below are available in different doses and quantities, so make sure you read the label carefully and don’t attempt any guesswork.
- Always Speak with Your Vet First. Since you can purchase products like this over the counter, it is still important to consult your vet before you begin administration.
They know the difference between brands and may have a more specific suggestion for you based on the type of worms your dog has (which the vet would need to diagnose).
Vet first, then dewormer!
Top 6 Dewormers for Dogs Table
Types of Worms
Most dewormers target the same four types of worms:
Some also treat ringworm, as well.
Find out what type of worms your dog has before you choose a dewormer in order to target the right ones.
Some of them only target a few strains of worms, so it is important to know beforehand so that you administer the proper medicine.
There are a few types of active ingredients used in dewormer medication, including:
- Fenbendazole. When you look on the label of a dewormer, you’ll see that the active ingredient used is Fenbendazole.
This ingredient works specifically on intestinal parasites in dogs (sometimes in cats, as well, but one should never give a cat a medicine designed specifically for dogs).
It basically makes the parasites “tired,” depleting them of energy. It slows down the cellular transport and their metabolism, eventually causing them to die.
- Praziquantel. This ingredient is also used to treat human worm and parasite gastrointestinal problems, and in some dog dewormers, as well.
- Pyrantel Pammoate. This ingredient is found in deworming medication for other animal species (cattle, pigs, sheep, horses, cats, etc.) in addition to some dog deworming medications.
Top 3 Best Dewormer for Dogs Reviews
Which is the best dewormer for dogs? That really depends on what kind of worms your dog has, because as we’ve already mentioned, it is important to target the right worms if you want to get rid of them.
These are the top three brands that dog owners have the most success with.
[easyazon_link asin=”B0002DHCHO” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]1. Nemex-2 Dewormer[/easyazon_link]
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B0002DHCHO” cloaking=”default” height=”500″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71GONLfgYIL.SP500.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”250″]
This is a liquid dewormer that is perfect for those of you who have a tough time getting your dog to swallow pills.
It targets both roundworms and hookworms and is a popular dewormer for puppies since it is safe for younger puppies.
- Active Ingredient: Pyrantel Pammoate.
- Safe For: Puppies (at least 2 weeks old) and Adult Dogs.
[easyazon_link asin=”B001IN3JCY” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]2. Sentry HC WormX Plus[/easyazon_link]
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B001IN3JCY” cloaking=”default” height=”500″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51qONIuGRwL.SP500.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”250″]
These chewable dewormer tablets are a great alternative to the drops and it also kills a wider range of worms, targeting two species of tapeworms, two species of roundworms and 3 species of hookworms.
- Active Ingredient: Pyrantel Pammoate / Praziquantel.
- Safe For: Young Dogs, Adult Dogs (see label for dosage instructions).
This would be a good choice for dogs that have a bad worm infestation and a wide variety of worms.
[easyazon_link asin=”B000296N7S” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]3. Panacur Canine Dewormer[/easyazon_link]
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B000296N7S” cloaking=”default” height=”500″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71oEvAD4B1L.SP500.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”200″]
For treating all four of the most common types of worms, Panacur C is a great choice for dog owners.
This comes in powder form (granules) and needs to be mixed with the dog’s food.
If your dog isn’t as picky when it comes to adding new things in the food bowl, then this product works great.
- Active Ingredient: Fenbendazole.
- Safe For: Puppies (6 weeks and older) and Adult Dogs.
You may need to mask it with something a little tastier (perhaps a spoonful of broth over their food).
If your dog only has one type of worm, then look for a product that targets it specifically. This is best for dogs that have tested positive for several types of worms.