Best Dog Food for German Shepherds 2020
Our website is supported by our users. We sometimes earn affiliate links when you click through the affiliate links on our websiteContact us for Questions
The German Shepherd is a popular breed for families as well as the workforce.
Their diet and quality of their food is up to you, so it takes a bit of time and some research to find a quality food that will meet their body’s needs.
Below, we highlight the favorite brands of Shepherd owners, allowing you to easily compare and contrast the top choices.
- Consider This
- Best Dog Food for German Shepherds Table
- What Do Typical German Shepherds Need in Their Diet?
- Top 3 Dog Foods for German Shepherds Reviews
- [easyazon_link asin=”B00F57N92O” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]1. Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link asin=”B003M5XJ6C” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]2. Holistic Select Natural Dry[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link asin=”B00YFZIG4I” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]3. Blue Buffalo Dry Senior[/easyazon_link]
Before you select the best dog food for a German Shepherd, consider the following:
- Activity Level. Always take into consideration your dog’s activity level as you select a brand of food for them. You might need something that contains fewer calories to help an overweight dog lose weight.
A healthy, active dog will need a lot of fuel, so make sure he is getting plenty of food to replenish the calories consumed.
- Feeding Schedule. Having a regular feeding schedule for your dog is important.
Filling the dog’s bowl with the entire daily portion of food in one sitting a bad idea. They may consume all of the calories in one go and then remain inactive for the rest of the day. This can quickly cause them to gain weight.
Create a healthy feeding schedule and stick to it!
Best Dog Food for German Shepherds Table[ws_table id=”26″]
What Do Typical German Shepherds Need in Their Diet?
Although some brands claim to have breed-specific formulas, we suggest that you focus more on the ingredients on the back of the package and less on the picture of the German Shepherd on the front. The size of the dog, the activity level of the dog, the age of the dog and the overall health of the dog will determine what you should be feeding him. Many large breed dogs eat food that is designed for their size rather than their breed, and these work best because of the balance between carbs, fats and proteins.
You may ask “What is the best dog food for German Shepherd puppies and adults,” but the better question to ask is, “What is the best food for my large breed dog?”
- Avoid kibble that contains animal bi-products, corn and wheat.
- If you have an active German Shepherd (a police dog or working dog) then opt for a food that provides them with the carbohydrate and protein supply that their active body will consume as they work. Number five on our list is a great choice.
- An inactive dog can eat the same food as an active dog, but will require a smaller quantity.
- Older dogs will require a senior food formula or perhaps wet food only (if they don’t have teeth) so your choices will vary. Have a look at number three on our list.
Use our list to help guide you as you search for the right one for your dog!
Top 3 Dog Foods for German Shepherds Reviews
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B00F57N92O” cloaking=”default” height=”500″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81yVZek6xTL._SL1500_.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”160″]Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Large Breed Health Chicken & Turkey Recipe, 26-Pound Bag[/easyazon_image]
For a healthy, active German Shepherd, Wellness Core has everything that their body needs. It is grain-free (no corn, soy or wheat) and contains a healthy amount of calcium for the sometimes-delicate joints and bones that German Shepherds can face.
This is a top-quality food for German Shepherds and many other large breeds.
This chicken and turkey formula is packed with antioxidants, probiotics, vitamins and minerals to keep your dog in tip-top shape. The kibbles are also larger so your dog chews them instead of inhaling them whole.[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B003M5XJ6C” cloaking=”default” height=”500″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41QWIopKoJL.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”180″]Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food, Lamb Meal Recipe, 30-Pound Bag[/easyazon_image]
For a German Shepherd pup, get some Holistic Select. This formula is specifically designed for large breed puppies, which means it has a healthy balance of fats, proteins and carbohydrates.
This will help support your puppy’s growing body by promoting digestive health, skin and coat and cognitive development.
As it should be, it is grain-free and contains no meat by-products![easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B00YFZIG4I” cloaking=”default” height=”500″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41JyHjXHmdL.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”160″]Blue Buffalo BLUE Senior Dog Chicken & Brown Large Breed 30 lb[/easyazon_image]
For the senior Shepherd, this Blue Buffalo formula is a great choice. It contains glucosamine and chondroitin, which continue to help your aging dog’s joints, and all ingredients are natural and grain-free.
Chicken, peas, flaxseed, potatoes, blueberries, cranberries, vitamins and supplements…
It is a gourmet meal in the bowl that contains everything your senior dog needs!