Your fluffy, golden four-legged friend is in need of some new dog food.
What should you buy?
With the endless choices available, it’s hard to narrow down your choices to decide which is the best dog food for Golden Retrievers.
Therefore, we’re here to lend you a hand!
We have some great suggestions below that work wonders for thousands of Golden Retriever owners just like you, so keep reading!
- Consider This
- Best Dog Food for Golden Retrievers Table
- How to Approach Your Golden Retriever’s Diet
- Top 3 Foods for Golden Retrievers
- [easyazon_link asin=”B00TQRK1DE” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]1. The Nutro Company Senior[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link asin=”B000VTQB6W” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]2. Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link asin=”B00NVMOJSI” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]3. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Dry[/easyazon_link]
Before you select kibble, there are a few things you should consider:
- Don’t Buy Food From the Grocery Store. A grocery store specializes in human food, not dog food. Skip the grocery store brands that are low in quality and price.
Low quality dog food creates many health problems for dogs, so for those of you who might want to save a few dollars on a cheap brand, just remember that you’ll have to spend that saved money later on at the vet’s office.
- Consider Health and Allergies. Make sure you consider all possible health issues and/or allergies that your Golden may suffer from.
When in doubt, just ask your vet to help steer you in the right direction.
Best Dog Food for Golden Retrievers Table
How to Approach Your Golden Retriever’s Diet
As a large breed dog, the Golden Retriever is more likely to develop joint and bone problems.
This is especially true for large breed puppies, since their bones experience a lot of growth in the first year of their lives and you need to be extra careful about what goes in the food bowl.
To help your puppy grow at a proper rate and reduce the likelihood of bone issues, here are a few things you can do when it comes to their diet:
- Avoid Over-Feeding. Ignore those cute, pleading eyes that are just begging for more food! Since your puppy’s bones and muscles are still developing, they aren’t ready to handle excess weight. Avoid over-feeding and balance their food intake with exercise.
- Watch Calcium Levels. As you read the pet food label, check to see if there are a lot of calcium-rich ingredients.
Any bone material, dairy products or plants such as peas, soy or any types of beans are rich sources of calcium, and many suggest that the ideal calcium content is between 0.7% and 1.2% in dry food.
Excessive amounts can increase the risk of bone problems during the Golden Retriever’s delicate growth stages as a puppy, so take the time to empower yourself with info and know what your dog is eating.
Top 3 Foods for Golden Retrievers
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B00TQRK1DE” cloaking=”default” height=”500″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51vB3%2BRrHXL.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”180″]The Nutro Company Senior Wholesome Essentials Chicken, Whole Brown Rice and Oatmeal Formula, 30-Pound[/easyazon_image]
For your golden oldie (senior Golden Retriever, that is), the Nutro Wholesome Essentials senior recipe is an ideal mix for the more mature dog.
This chicken, brown rice and oatmeal formula contains all of the things your elderly pooch needs, including antioxidants that will support their aging immune system, omega-3 fatty acids to promote healthy brain activity, and glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health.
For this level of quality, the price is unbeatable. One of the best dog foods for Golden Retrievers on our list!
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B000VTQB6W” cloaking=”default” height=”500″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81z5QlAbiaL._SL1500_.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”195″]Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Reduced Fat Weight Management Turkey & Chicken Recipe, 26-Pound Bag[/easyazon_image]
If your Golden Retriever is a little portly, then it’s time to put them on a diet.
Reducing the amount of fat in their diet and providing them with more exercise will help them slim down, and the Wellness reduced fat formula is a top choice of many dog owners.
With 25% less fat than the standard formula, that doesn’t mean that they’ve cut out the healthy stuff!
It’s still contains the right amount of vitamins and minerals to keep your dog lean and shiny, it’s grain-free, soy-free, corn-free, wheat-free and contains no meat bi-products. Natural, healthy and safe for your dog on a diet.
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B00NVMOJSI” cloaking=”default” height=”500″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41p-R8%2BFPzL.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”180″]Blue Buffalo BLUE Adult Dog Lamb & Brown Rice Large Breed 30 lb[/easyazon_image]
Another great choice for large breed dogs, such as the Golden Retriever, is the Blue Buffalo Life Protection large breed formula.
It has a healthy balance of all-natural ingredients and it’s packed with antioxidant-rich fruits and veggies.
For an adult with lean muscles, healthy joints and solid bones, this lamb and brown rice formula will keep your dog energetic and happy.