6 Best Dog Nail Grinders 2020
Our website is supported by our users. We sometimes earn affiliate links when you click through the affiliate links on our websiteContact us for Questions
Trimming your dog’s nails is an important part of their grooming routine and the process will be much less dramatic if you, the owner, know how to properly handle the task.
Many dogs aren’t fond of having their nails trimmed, while others tolerate it well and have been positively reinforced to enjoy it!
Below, we provide you with a list of the six best dog nail grinders, which you can use as your main trimming tool or as file for rough edges if you prefer clippers.
Our tips and suggestions help you understand proper nail care for your dog and how to approach them with a grinder if it’s their first experience.
- Things to Take into Consideration
- Top 6 Dog Nail Grinders Overview
- Trimming: When & Why
- Top 3 Best Dog Nail Grinder Reviews
- [easyazon_link asin=”B003TU0XG4″ locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]1. Dremel 7300-PT Grooming Kit[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link asin=”B003UO2PRY” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]2. EasyClip 2-Speed Nail Grinder[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link asin=”B00CXAEX5I” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]3. CONAIR PRO PET PRODUCTS[/easyazon_link]
Things to Take into Consideration
It’s hard to know if your dog will tolerate a nail grinder, and if you don’t properly handle your dog as you use it (slowly and patiently getting them used to the idea), you might not have success.
You won’t know until you try!
Here are a few things to consider:
- Dog’s Nail Color. It’s easier to trim when the dog’s nails are clear. This allows the person grinding to see the “quick” of the nail, or the area at the back of the nail that is full of blood vessels and nerves.
When dogs have dark toenails, it’s much harder to tell where the quick is because you can’t see it. Grinders are safer than clippers for dogs with darker nails because it eliminates any of the guess work.
- Dew Claws. Don’t forget about the dew claws! These are very important, as they can help the dog to grip things as well as climb out of slippery places. Be careful NOT to get the grinder too close to their fur. It might tangle, causing your dog pain and probably instill enough fear in them that you won’t be able to use the grinder any longer (one step forward, three steps back).
- Fears. Formerly abused dogs or strays that have been rescued can be highly sensitive to certain people, places, objects and noises. It might be a good idea to have a dog specialist (a trainer or a dog psychologist) visit your dog and help you assess if using the nail grinder is possible.
Top 6 Dog Nail Grinders Overview[ws_table id=”20″]
Trimming: When & Why
As a general rule of thumb, it’s best to trim your dog’s nails once they start to touch the ground.
We know that many don’t trim that often, but you don’t want to let the nails grow too long or else they can break or cause dogs to walk unnaturally. This could cause permanent skeletal damage.
Remember, if you use a grinder, don’t leave the drum on the nail for more than 2-3 seconds, otherwise it will get too hot and burn your dog.
Top 3 Best Dog Nail Grinder Reviews
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B003TU0XG4″ cloaking=”default” height=”500″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31R2d2tNkaL.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”280″]Dremel 7300-PT 4.8-Volt Pet Grooming Kit[/easyazon_image]
The Dremel is a favorite for dog owners.
It’s cordless, has two speeds and comes with four ½-inch diameter sanding bands (60 grit). It also has a rechargeable battery pack that charges in three hours.
Make sure you read the instruction manual, as it offers some useful tips on how to familiarize your dog with the grinder. Just be patient with your dog and take little baby steps, because the Dremel 7300-PT is a great grooming tool!
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B003UO2PRY” cloaking=”default” height=”500″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31Hn4zARpML.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”230″]EasyClip 2-Speed Nail Grinder, Pet Grooming, ANG-1 (65880)[/easyazon_image]
This kit has a quite a few more items than the previous grinder. While it also has two speeds, the 13-piece kit also contains a large sanding drum, small sanding drum, wrench, storage case and power supply with DC jack.
It has two speeds (7,000 and 12,000 RPM) to give you the power needed to grind the nails.
A great product!
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B00CXAEX5I” cloaking=”default” height=”300″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/217u%2Bs3jfLL.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”270″]CONAIR PRO PET PRODUCTS 741027 Dogs Nail Grinder[/easyazon_image]
The Conair grinder has one speed instead of two, but it comes with a protective hood to keep the dust from blowing in your face. Something handy that the other two grinders don’t have.
The motor is also quite, which is helpful for dogs who dislike grinders. The handy cord, even though it limits how far you can reach with grinder, is great because it ensures a strong, constant power supply that will keep the RPMs strong and allow you to file quickly.
Our guide above makes it easy for you to find best dog nail grinder for your pooch, and don’t forget to refer to our useful tips about dog nail care!