Best Flea Collar for Dogs 2020
Our website is supported by our users. We sometimes earn affiliate links when you click through the affiliate links on our websiteContact us for Questions
All humans have been bitten by an insect at some point or another so we all know how much it can irritate the skin, as fleas cling to dogs these bites can be continuous once your dog is afflicted. The best cure is prevention which is where flea collars come into play. Flea collars work to protect your dog against these insects before they become an issue, making you feel secure in the knowledge that you can take your dog out without returning with some nasty hitchhikers.
This guide will help you decide on the best flea collar for dogs, providing you with information and reviews to help you make an informed choice.
- Things to Consider for Flea Collars
- Top 6 Best Flea Collar for Dogs Ranking
- Duration vs. Water Resistance
- Top 3 Dog Flea Collar Product Reviews
- [easyazon_link asin=”B00B8CG602″ locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]1. Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link asin=”B00MRR5ADG” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]2. Scalibor Protector Band for Dogs[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link asin=”B00C6VXPHQ” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]3. Field & Stream Flea and Tick Collar[/easyazon_link]
Things to Consider for Flea Collars
- How The Collars Work. The collars contain flea and tick repellent chemicals that react to friction against your dogs neck and release onto their skin. Your pet’s natural oils on their hair, coat and skin then allow the chemical to cover their bodies, adhering to their hair and providing continuous, long-lasting protection.
- Can All Dogs Wear Them? It is always best to read the information sheet carefully before putting a flea collar on your dog, most aren’t suitable for puppies under the age of three months and almost all aren’t suitable for senior, pregnant or nursing dogs. If you’re still unsure then I would advise you consult your vet before purchasing.
- Are they Dangerous? If you have a multi-pet household you should consult a vet to ensure the chemicals used on the flea collar aren’t dangerous to other animals, some pesticides used on dogs can be highly toxic to cats, for example.
Whilst a dog wears these collars it is important to wash your hands after contact with them, as the chemicals could touch your skin. If you have a house with small children that are in close contact with your pets it might be a good idea to consider a different form of treatment.
Top 6 Best Flea Collar for Dogs Ranking[ws_table id=”9″]
Duration vs. Water Resistance
Whilst most collars are water resistant it can reduce their efficacy over a long period of time. This is why if your dog is a swimmer and frequently exposed to water it is advisable to change the collar a few months earlier in order to ensure they are fully protected.
Top 3 Dog Flea Collar Product Reviews
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B00B8CG602″ cloaking=”default” height=”73″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91HfXAu5G8L._SL1500_.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”230″]Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar, Large Dog[/easyazon_image]
This is ranked as the best flea collar for dogs because it takes weather and popular dog activities into consideration. The collar is water resistant, taking into account monthly bathing and any swimming your dog may do, of course if your dog is regularly exposed to water it may be a better idea to change it a few months earlier so as to ensure your dog has the maximum protection it can.
Unlike some other collars it’s both odourless and non-greasy making it a more popular choice amongst dog owners. It even considers owners who are wary about putting something around their dogs neck, it features a mechanism that if your pet were to somehow become trapped, their own strength is enough to quickly release them from the collar.
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B00MRR5ADG” cloaking=”default” height=”365″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61hUWXzl1cL._SL1000_.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”260″]Scalibor Protector Band for Dogs – 6 Month Protection[/easyazon_image]
This collar has proven to be effective and robust in highly wooded areas where dogs are far more susceptible to ticks, so it may be the top choice for the more rural household. This collar can be used whilst your dog is pregnant and also after when lactating and has the added benefit of also being able to control mosquitoes to give your pet that added bit of protection.
This is extremely effective in keeping your dog tick and flea free, as the protective layer seems to work wonders, taking advantage of your dogs natural oils to help spread the chemical that repels fleas and ticks all over their body. The design is one size fits all which is great as you don’t need to worry about buying the wrong one for your dog.
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B00C6VXPHQ” cloaking=”default” height=”500″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/518uK1PJ8QL.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”250″]Field & Stream Flea and Tick Collar for Small/Medium Dogs[/easyazon_image]
This is the rated as the third best flea collar for dogs and provides seven months protection against fleas and ticks. Once the collar is attached it will begin to kill fleas, ticks, larvae and flea eggs immediately meaning if your dog already suffers from a flea infestation then this collar can be used effectively as a dog flea treatment rather than just a preventative measure. That sets this collar apart as usually flea collars are intended as a preventative treatment not a medication.
This collar is water-resistant like the Scalibor and Bayer and therefore perfect for those in wet areas or just with dogs who like the water. This is a great collar, it doesn’t seem to irritate my dog and there have been no flea problems since she started wearing it.