Can cats eat grape raisins? Will they like it?
Our website is supported by our users. We sometimes earn affiliate links when you click through the affiliate links on our websiteContact us for Questions
Grape raisins are tasty and nutritious. They make a great snack for humans. But is it healthy for cats? Can cats eat grape raisins? Should you let your cat eat it?
Grape raisins are the ideal snacks for many health-conscious people. It is packed with vitamin B, potassium and iron. It is low in calories. And it can boost energy levels and prevent constipation. And have I mentioned that it is yummy?
But for cats, grape raisins aren’t ideal foods all.
Feeding grape raisins can cause kidney failure
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) says grape raisins should never be fed to felines because it can cause acute kidney failure.
Acute renal failure happens suddenly, usually in a matter of days or weeks. It can affect cats of any age.
Up to this day, scientists are still looking at what exactly is in grape raisins that cause renal failure in cats.
Kidney failure in cats can be due to a lot of factors. It may be due to exposure to poisons like antifreeze, certain human medications, and cleaning fluids.
One of the first signs of acute kidney failure in cats is vomiting. It usually happens within 12 hours of ingesting grape raisins. The cat vomits as her body tries to get rid of the harmful substance.
It is also possible that a cat fed with grape raisins would suffer from diarrhea. Just like vomiting, diarrhea is another way for the cat’s defense system to eject the toxic substance.
Cats suffering from acute renal failure would usually be lethargic. They also lack appetite, and would be very weak. These signs can indicate that the toxic ingredient has affected the cat.
The cat will also exhibit signs such as decreased urination, meaning that there’s already a loss of kidney function, and abdominal pain.
Acute renal failure can be reversed if it is diagnosed in time. But if left untreated, it can result in seizure and even death.
Acute kidney failure is one of the two types of kidney failure in felines.
The other is real chronic failure, in which the kidneys have deteriorated over time. It is very common in older cats, and may also cause death in kittens.
Just so you know, chronic kidney failure is caused by kidney infection, trauma, and blockages that alter the flow of blood into the kidney.
Certain cat breeds are predisposed to kidney failure. These include Abyssinian, Burmese, Maine coon, Persian, Russian blue, and Siamese.
Of course, not every cat that eats grape raisins will exhibit signs of acute renal failure. But you would rather be on the safe side. And this can be done only by not giving her grapes or raisins, but also keeping this snack out of your cat’s reach.
What to do if your cat ate grape raisins
But what if you catch your cat chewing grape raisins? What should you do?
You would want your cat to throw up. You can do this by feeding hydrogen peroxide which we often use for disinfecting small wounds. The ideal amount would be a teaspoon for every 10 pounds of body weight. So if your cat is 20 pounds heavy, give her two teaspoons.
Once your cat ingested the hydrogen peroxide , walk her around. You can also shake her tummy so that the peroxide will mix with the stomach contents. You can expect her to vomit 15 to 20 minutes after.
If your cat doesn’t vomit, try to give her hydrogen peroxide again. But if she won’t take it anymore, it is best to bring her to a veterinarian. Also, don’t give her hydrogen peroxide more than two times.
Veterinarians may try another way to induce vomiting in the affected cat, like using activated charcoal to absorb the remaining toxins in the gastrointestinal system of the cat. Or the specialist may provide intravenous fluids.
Do cats like grape raisins?
Cats are known to be very picky when it comes to food. Grape raisins are sweet, a taste which cats are not receptive to. So in all likelihood, most cats won’t eat grape raisins if you hand a few pieces to them.
Still it should not mean that you should be careless in storing your food. Keep grape raisins in the fridge so that it will be out of her reach. You may also keep it in a closed cabinet.
And if you have little kids in the household, make sure they don’t give your cat grape raisins in case they are snacking on this yummy treat.
Grape raisins might be a great snack for humans but these are definitely not for feline consumption. Your cat may suffer from acute renal failure if you fed her with this snack.
Did you like our article? Don’t forget to share it so other pet lovers like you will be informed about the dangers of feeding their cats with grape raisins.