Can Dogs Eat Grapes: Whether as an extra in homemade diets or as an occasional prize, many people start on offering fruits and vegetables to their dogs. However, there are some foods that should never be offered because they can cause poisoning or serious health problems.
Do you want to know if dogs can eat green grapes or raisins? Are they toxic to dogs? What can happen if our dog has eaten one? What would be the symptoms of eating grapes for dogs? Know the complete details before offering any new item for dogs.
In this article, we will solve all your doubts, taking into account several scientific studies on whether dogs can eat grapes or not. The Article is fully packed with the complete details on Grapes for Dogs. Start Reading…
Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Are Grapes Toxic to Dogs?
If you’ve ever wondered if dogs really can eat grapes, the answer is a resounding no. Indeed, as you may have heard, the grapes are highly toxic to canines. Although they are good for us but no for dogs and it is hard for you to believe, this is totally true.
Why dogs cannot eat grapes? The problem is inside the grapes and also the raisins, they have a substance that is highly toxic to the canine organism but one that you really do not know much about. If your dog eats a grape or two, nothing happens. The problem comes when your dog eats high amounts. Grapes are a real danger when the dog eats more than 3 5 grams of grapes or raisins for each kilo of its weight, and even more. Thus, for example, that a dog of 12 kilos eats half a kilo of grapes can pose a danger to your dog health.
Of course, every dog is different. Depending on its resistance, constitution, and other factors it will react differently to the danger of a dog eating grapes. Although as we say, not much is known it has been observed that the consumption of grapes and raisins by dogs causes damages in the kidneys, leading to renal failure.
Why Dogs Cannot Eat Grapes
When eating grapes or raisins, the dog’s discomfort begins in the stomach, intestine and subsequently evolves to kidney failure.
Normally, the dog vomits within two hours after eating grapes. After diarrhea and lethargic state begins, with a constant feeling of much thirst. After 24 hours, renal failure appears which may worsen in the following days.
The dog feels gut pain, loses the appetite and feels depressed by the discomfort. Vomiting may continue, in addition to tremors. It produces hypovolemia, a reduction of blood plasma and the dog urinates less frequently.
Intoxication by Grapes in Dogs
The symptoms of grape poisoning in dogs begin to manifest after 6 hours of consumption and never after 24 hours of ingestion. The most common signs are:
- Anorexia (the dog does not eat)
- Abdominal sensitivity
- Remains of grapes in the dog’s stool
- Remains of grapes in the vomit
- Polydipsia (sed excessive)
If you suspect that your dog is suffering from grape poisoning. We recommend that you go to the veterinarian’s emergency department, which may begin to perform different tests to ensure that the dog has been poisoned or not.
To start, the veterinarian will assess if the dog has a renal failure the most obvious sign. In addition, the analyzes performed should show the presence of elevated urea and creatinine, oliguria or anuria, proteinuria, glycosuria, microscopic hematuria and occasionally, up to crystalluria. The prognosis for dogs with oliguria or anuria is unfavorable.
The treatment to be applied in the face of poisoning by grapes in dogs will depend on the symptomatology that the animal shows. Generally, emetics are used to induce vomiting and/or absorbent such as the use of activated charcoal.
- Can dogs drink beer
- Ringworm in dogs treatment home remedies
- Dog penis infection
- Can I feed my dog oatmeal every day
- Is banana safe for dogs
What to Do If Your Dog Eats Grapes
Surely we have already answered your question of whether dogs can eat grapes, but probably now you have a new question… What if your dog eat them by accident? What do I do now?
The first thing you should do if your dog eats grapes is to induce vomiting. A good option is to try to eat burned bread. It will cost you because it is not rich, but it will act as coal. Which serves to diminish the absorption of the substance of the grapes by the kidney. Right after giving your dog the burnt bread or if you see that you do not get it, do not let the time run!
Go without hesitation to the vet and tell him what happened. Your dog will need intravenous treatment to cleanse and balance your dog’s body. If your dog has not managed to eat the bread and vomit, tell the veterinarian and try another method. It is very important that your dog is free of the toxic substance of the grapes. You must remove it from your dog’s body as soon as possible.
In Short, Should I Let My Dog Eat Grapes?
Many people do not know that dogs can not eat grapes, much fewer people know that they are so dangerous to them. Of course, there are dogs that can be lucky not to suffer so many complications, just go bad for a few days with diarrhea or vomiting and then heal. For others, on the other hand, it can be deadly, especially if it is not treated. So do not hesitate to react to this problem as soon as possible to solve it.
Hence, You have got all the information on Can Dogs Eat Grapes or not. Even we have seen how dangerous eating grapes in dogs. You should not feed Grapes for Dogs. We hope you like the article and even thinking to share it with friends and families at social media. Feel free to ask your questions in the comment section below. Like the article and keep visiting Dogsfud for more information on What Dogs can Eat.