It is very important to inspect the ears of the cat on a weekly basis as a part of their health care routine. It is usually seen that cleaning is not much necessary for most of the cats, but it is advisable for pet owners to keep a check on their healthy hygiene. Also, it is advisable to inspect the ears to check the presence of mites or any other kind of infection.
Also, it is seen many times that most of the cats perform a great job of cleaning their ears. Sometimes they might need the help of their owners and also it is advisable to the owners to keep a check on the cat.
Some of the most common ear infection problems that are likely to be seen in cats are as follow:
- Ear mites
- Bacteria, fungal or yeast infection
It is important for cat owners to make a routine check of the ears of their cat. Also, one should start cleaning and inspecting the ears of the cat right from when they are kittens. Lastly, one has to choose such a time to clean the ears of the cat when she is quite relaxed.
In the blog below, we have mentioned about ten easy steps on how to clear cat ears
- 1. Making sure that the Cat is Quite Relaxed
- 2. Examining the Cat
- 3. Keeping All Things Ready
- 4. Buying a Liquid Ear Cleaner
- 5. Warming the ear cleaner
- 6. Placing some Drops into the Ears of the Cat
- 7. Leaving the Cat Alone for Some Time
- 8. Moisturizing a Cotton Ball and Swabbing the Cat’s Ears
- 9. Praising, Cuddling and Treating the Cat
- 10. Visiting the Vet if Necessary
1. Making sure that the Cat is Quite Relaxed
- There are some cats that love getting their ears clean and will sit on your lap quietly while you clean their ears, but there are some cats that do not like the same and will struggle until you leave them alone.
- To clean the ears of your cat, it is advisable to bring them to a quiet place or a room where there is no other pet.
- The person who is holding the cat has to be careful as tight grip over the cat will make it less cooperative.
- If the cat is not cooperating at all, one can try wrapping the cat securely in a soft and thick towel.
- Lastly, during the cleaning procedure, if the cat becomes too aggressive then has to stop then and there only or else the cat is likely to bite him or her.
2. Examining the Cat
After making sure that the cat is quite relaxed one has to examine the ears of the cat as a part of its healthy hygiene. If the cat is showing some symptoms of ear infection, then the owner has to examine the ears of the cat to check whether there is redness in the ear or any discharge. Also, has to check the presence of wax inside the ear of the cat.
The light brown color wax is commmon for cats so one need not worry about that but if there is the presence of black or red color wax or pus inside the ear, and then one has to immediately clean the ears of the cat and remove the extra wax and pus from the ear.
If the needful is not done in the right time, then it might result in some serious kind of infection. Lastly, if the wax does not entirely come out by once doing the cleanup of the ears or if the redness is not seen reducing by any means, then one has to visit the vet for the necessary examination.
- How to Discipline a Cat? Effective Ways to Solve 4 Cat Behaviors
- How To Catch Stray Kittens Without Any Traps?
3. Keeping All Things Ready
To clean the ears of the cat one needs a handful of things. Before starting to clean the ears, one has to keep things like a liquid ear cleaner, cotton wool walls or a gauze pad, olive oil or hydrogen peroxide for moisturizing the cotton balls, some lukewarm water and a soft and thick towel.
Also, it is highly advisable for the person who is cleaning the ears first to seek the advice of the vet to confirm the diagnosis and ensuring whether one is using the appropriate treatment for the cat or not.
The incorrect use of any materials like ear cleaning solution or cotton balls for the cat might result in permanent damage to the cat’s ears. So it is highly recommendable to seek prior advice from the vet.
4. Buying a Liquid Ear Cleaner
It is always advisable to buy a fluid ear cleaner that is quick in drying and strongly caustic. One can easily buy a liquid ear cleaner either at a veteran’s office or a pet specialist store.
It is also possible to make a DIY liquid ear cleaner on their own at their home by mixing one whole cup of white vinegar and the other whole cup of rasping alcohol. It is very important to note that water is not to be taken in use under any circumstance as it will sit down inside the inner portion of the ear, which might result in the growth of the yeast.
One can also use a cotton swab that is moisturized enough by making use of either hydrogen peroxide or even emerald oil.
5. Warming the ear cleaner
It is advisable for the person who is cleaning the ears of the cat to warm the ear cleaner enough as it makes the cat feel comfortable. Most of the cats do not like too cold or hot liquid going into their ears.
6. Placing some Drops into the Ears of the Cat
While cleaning the ears of a cat, always place the liquid cleaner as per the dosage. After placing the cleaner, one has to rubdown the bottom of the ear so that the liquid cleaner can work properly. While massaging the cat’s ears, one has to be soft and gentle and try to use gentle pressure.
One should not rub the base of the ear too tightly as it might damage the eardrums. Lastly, always keep in mind the dosage that is recommended by the vet.
7. Leaving the Cat Alone for Some Time
After placing the liquid cleaner in the ears of the cat, the cat should be left alone for some time. By leaving the cat alone, it will give the cat some time to shake itself so that any dirt or extra wax can come up and can be removed.
8. Moisturizing a Cotton Ball and Swabbing the Cat’s Ears
- After the cat shakes itself, one has to moisturize a cotton swab or a gauze pad.
- The cotton ball can be moisturized by either using hydrogen peroxide or olive oil.
- It is important to note that the cotton ball is not to be pushed too deep inside the straight portion of the ear canal.
- By pushing the cotton ball too deep in the ear canal, it might result in compacting rather than building up the extra dirt and the wax.
- One should avoid making use of Q-tip.
- Lastly, one does not have to clean the ears too deep as it might cause damage to the tissue that outlines the canal of the ear and it might even rupture the eardrums of the cat.
If the ear drums of the cat are damaged, it is likely for the cat to demonstrate signs of tenderness and even drop her sense of balancing and sitting with its head tilted.
9. Praising, Cuddling and Treating the Cat
After all the necessary cleaning process is done, it is very much necessary to calm down the cat. To calm down, the cat one can either praise the cat or cuddle with the cat. This will not only make the cat comfortable but will also make it feel special and will help it get calm and get back to normal.
Also, it will make the cat more cooperative with the owner when it sees him or her with a bottle of ear drops. So, the next time the cat will not struggle much while getting its ears cleans.
10. Visiting the Vet if Necessary
If the ears of the cat are cleaned too deeply then as mentioned above, it might result in damage to the ear drums of the cat. If the ear drums of the cat are damaged, then it might show signs of pain like frequently pawing at the ear and meowing more than ever before. Along with this, the cat might also lose some of her senses and will stop responding to its owner also.
If such signs are seen in the cat, then it is the responsibility of the owner to immediately visit the vet’s office for the entire examination of the cat’s ears.
It is very important to maintain a healthy hygiene in every manner for humans and in the same way it is also important for the cats to have a healthy sanitation. The ears of the cat are quite delicate and are to be cleaned on a weekly basis. In the blog above we have mentioned ten easy steps to clear cat ears. One must strictly follow the guidelines mentioned above as even a slight misuse might result in either severe infection or permanent hearing disability of the cat.