That is a question with many answers. It depends on whom you ask since every pet owner has a different idea of what good dog food is.
With that in mind, we would still like to help you figure out what is the best dog food for your budget and your dog by presenting a list of the top 10 brands in this guide.
Our doggy expertise and food research skills have made us dog food shopping pros, so read on to find which brands we trust for our four-legged friends.
Top 10 Dog Foods Table
|Picture||Name||Suggested For||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|Picture||Name||Suggested For||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|1. ZiwiPeak Air-Dried Dog Cuisine||All Life Stages||$$$$||4.6|
|2. Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food||Dogs with Food Allergies||$$$||4.6|
|3. Fromm Family Foods 33 lb Gold Nutritionals Dog Food||Picky Dogs||$$||4.6|
|4. Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food||Large & Giant Breeds||$$$||4.6|
|5. Taste of the Wild, Canine Formula||Active Dogs||$$||4.5|
|6. Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Small Breed Dog Food||Small Breeds||$||4.5|
|7. Ideal Balance Natural Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food||Seniors||$$||4.5|
|8. The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Base Mix Dog Food||Dogs with Protein Allergies||$$$||4.5|
|9. Eagle Pack Natural Dry Dog Food||Overweight Adults||$||4.4|
|10. CANIDAE Life Stages Dry Dog Food for Puppies, Adults & Seniors||All Life Stages||$$||4.4|
We’ll provide you with a general overview of the brands we included in the table and share why we like them.
- ZiwiPeak. The quality of this food is amazing, which is why it is so ridiculously expensive. They make their food in small batches, using free-range and grass-fed lamb (or other protein sources) and don’t pump it full of fillers. It is more caloric and high in protein, so the quantity you feed is significantly less than what you’re used to with regular dog foods.
- Natural Balance. They specialize in foods for dogs with allergies. Some formulas are grain-free while others contain only one protein source. Allergies aren’t always linked to grains, and thanks to the wide variety of options, you can find the right combination of ingredients easily.
- Fromm. Is another quality food brand that seems to do well with picky eaters. Their formulas contain a wide mixture of ingredients (some of them, anyways), so if your dog has allergies, be sure to read the label. Small breed owners especially have luck with this brand.
- Holistic Select. They offer a wide range of formulas, but large and giant breed owners find that that the quality and price make it especially appealing.
All of their formulas are popular, whether you need something grain-free, for small breeds or weight management.
- Taste of the Wild. Active dogs do well with Taste of the Wild. The formulas are all grain-free and focus on more gamey meats such as boar and bison since their goal is to offer foods that mimic dogs’ ancestral diet.
- Wellness. Wellness is popular due to the balance of quality and price. Dog owners who can’t spring for the top-of-the-line brands find that this brand meets the needs of their dog and their pockets. We especially like that they offer both a small and toy breed line of kibble.
- The Honest Kitchen. What is the best dog food if you were thinking about a raw diet like B.A.R.F. but just couldn’t dedicate the time or money to it? The Honest Kitchen.
They provide the dry base mix, and you choose the protein source to add. Their formulas are human-grade and FDA-approved, and they offer a wide selection.
- Hill’s Ideal Balance. This is another affordable brand that is formulated for dogs with average activity levels. As the name suggests, they want to find the perfect balance of nutrients and quality so that you’re not overloading your dog on vitamins, salt, and protein.
- Eagle Pack. They are dedicated to offering natural food that is free of by-products, corn, wheat, artificial colors, artificial flavors or preservatives. They’re just a popular as Hill’s and priced similarly, so if one doesn’t work for you, consider the other as a great alternative.
- CANIDAE. Whether you have a puppy, an adult or a senior, CANIDAE’s formulas are designed to provide each with the proper levels of nutrition. They’re especially helpful for families with multiple dogs. They have other formulas, too, including one for sensitive stomach small breeds and grain-free recipes.
Top 5 Best Dog Foods Reviews
After reading the overviews of the top brands, do you have any idea what is the best dog food for your pooch?
To help you decide, we’ll highlight the top five in detail here.
Are you sick of formulas packed with potatoes, grains, sugars, corn, wheat, glycerin, and soy? Even some of the top dog foods still contain all of those, but not this formula.
ZiwiPeak’s Air-Dried recipes are truly unique. They air-dry the food to help naturally preserve the meat, which helps eliminate bacteria like salmonella and listeria from growing. There is no added glucosamine or chondroitin for joint health; it is naturally provided via the New Zealand Green Mussel they use in the recipe. Their protein sources – lamb, beef, and venison – are free-range and grass fed, yielding a more natural meat for the food.
Due to the high protein and calorie content, you won’t feed as much of this to your dog per serving. So, for example, if you have a 22-pound dog, will only eat 112 grams (3.9 ounces) of this per day. We recommend that you measure by weight rather than by volume to avoid overfeeding.
While it is quite expensive, a bag of this lasts longer than typical dog food brands and the quality is outstanding. It’s one of the best dog foods out there regarding quality.
We really like Natural Balance’s dedication to providing recipes that help dogs with protein and grain allergies.
They offer quite a wide variety of mixtures so that you can find the right one for your pet. They offer single protein recipes with duck only, lamb meal only, bison only, fish only, venison only and buffalo only. Within each of those, you have different carbohydrate sources to choose from based on what your dog can tolerate.
Their Sweet Potato and Venison formula is by far one of the most popular for adult dogs.
It is a grain-free formula with no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives, and if your dog can’t eat the Sweet Potato and Venison formula, check out the other great options available.
Fromm is highly regarded by many dog owners; we love it, too! The price tag may be high, but so is the quality, which is why we included it in our top five.
Their Gold Formula is a hit with many dogs, but they also offer large breed puppy and adult formulas, a reduced activity or senior dog formula and a weight management formula to help overweight dogs slim down.
From Schnauzers and Dachshunds to Labradors and Mixed Breeds, this food is a hit with many dogs, especially those with particular tastes.
This Gold Adult formula would be suitable for adults that get an average amount of exercise daily. It does contain cheese and egg, so if your dog happens to be allergic to either, check out another food from our list.
Holistic Select has a little something for every dog, but this Large and Giant Breed Formula is a huge hit for the super-size pooches.
The balance of fat and protein is what makes this formula work so well, especially for large dogs that aren’t as active. They focused on digestive health and joint health with this formula, which are two very important factors for large breeds.
The chicken meal and oatmeal are also gentle on sensitive stomachs, but if you have a dog with grain allergies, then you’ll have to opt for something else.
If you don’t have a large or giant breed dog, check out the other formulas they offer.
For a closer-to-nature diet that will fuel your active dog’s lifestyle, go with Taste of the Wild.
They offer many different solutions, ranging from small breed formulas to puppy formulas, and all of them are grain-free.
Their adult formulas are the most popular, and you can choose from Bison & Venison, Lamb, Boar, Salmon and Fowl recipes.
The reason that it is recommended for active adults is that the proportions of fat, protein and other ingredients all provide the right amount of fuel to their bodies. Inactive dogs seem to plump up on this, so you would either need to adjust the quantity or start exercising your dog more if you wanted to use it.
Due to the quality of the ingredients and the success stories we’ve seen, we feel confident that this is one of the best dog foods currently on the market.