Whether you’re training your pup or hoping to bring her along for a pleasant afternoon walk, a trusty harness should be the first thing on your list of necessities; this is especially true if you have a small dog because they’re more prone to getting lost or getting into accidents due to their size.
Unfortunately, many pet owners think that all harnesses are the same, but that’s not necessarily the case. The best harness for small dogs should be able to keep your little pup safe without sacrificing his comfort. Find out just how different all of your options can be and discover which harnesses are the best of the best with this complete round-up.
- Top 10 Harnesses for Small Dogs Table
- What Pet Owners Should Consider
- Top 3 Best Harnesses for Small Dogs Reviews
- [easyazon_link asin=”B01M66H7GC” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]1. Blueberry Pet 3M Dog Harness Vest[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link asin=”B01M66H7GC” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]2. Blueberry Pet Training Dog Harness[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link asin=”B014MXDR8M” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]3. EcoBark Maximum Comfort & Control Dog Harness[/easyazon_link]
Top 10 Harnesses for Small Dogs Table
What Pet Owners Should Consider
Pets are family, and just as you wouldn’t choose just anything for your child to wear, so too should you take the time to select a harness for your pup. Now, the question is – what exactly should you consider to make sure you’re buying the best harness for small dogs?
- Fit. The way your chosen harness fits your dog’s body will determine how comfortable it will be during use. Aside from this, fit also tells you how well the harness will keep your pup’s legs in their proper place while you’re training or walking.
As a general rule, your dog’s harness should allow you to insert 1 to 2 fingers between the material and the pup’s body. Check all of the edges of the harness to ensure that blood flow is properly maintained.
If your dog seems uncomfortable, unable to move, or if she’s showing signs of unease and pain, make sure to remove the harness and adjust it to the proper size. You may also want to try to use the harness and stimulate your training and walking exercises indoors so you can be sure that it will stay on during use.
- Support. Often, smaller dog breeds have more problems when it comes to posture and body positioning; this is mostly due to the fact that their bodies have less optimal proportions compared to bigger dogs.
Back problems and joint issues are common among smaller dogs, and that’s why it’s particularly important to make sure the harness you’re using on your pup doesn’t add fuel to that potential flame.
A harness that forces your dog’s body into wrong postures by way of stiff materials or designs reinforced with solid structures could aggravate body aches and pains. Ideally, your chosen harness should provide just enough support for proper body alignment without forcing your dog to assume certain postures.
- Added Features. Padding, adjustable straps, hook provisions, and other fancy bells and whistles all make dog harnesses unique and functional; however, this doesn’t mean that each pet owner will benefit from a harness that offers a complete set of features.
Padding can make a harness more comfortable for your pet; however, these also tend to generate more heat. Adjustable straps can accommodate a growing dog, but might also become tighter or looser if the adjustment buckles aren’t secure enough.
Hook provisions are a useful feature for pet parents who want to hang GPS dog trackers or other safety accessories on their dog. However, these can also become a safety hazard, particularly when walking through bushy or shrubby vegetation.
Top 3 Best Harnesses for Small Dogs Reviews
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B01M66H7GC” cloaking=”default” height=”50″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Ek1mEh6eL._SP500_.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”250″]
Made from lightweight, breathable, and soft mesh material, this option is often considered the best harness for small dogs if you’re looking for a comfortable purchase for your pup.
The high-quality fabrics and straps make pups feel free and easy during use. The adjustable straps are reliable and durable, guaranteeing the perfect fit no matter how rough and rowdy your dog might get.
The Blueberry Pet Soft & Comfortable 3M Harness also features a reflective material that makes it much safer to walk your pet in low light settings. All metal hardware is coated with a matte gray finish that adds to the harness’s overall durability.
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B01M66H7GC” cloaking=”default” height=”500″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71Glm9aCuFL._SP500_.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”250″]
Dogs that like to walk ahead of their owners tend to experience discomfort with harnesses that pull them from above. Typical harnesses feature this flaw, with the ring connecting to the leash applying upward force, perpendicular to the dog’s length.
So for pups that prefer taking the lead, the Blueberry Pet Soft & Comfortable Neoprene Padded Training Dog Harness is the ideal selection. This harness features a comfortable padded neoprene front panel that pulls back on your dog from the front for an ideal walking experience.
The high-grade fabrics, straps, and hardware are made from premium materials and are guaranteed to last many years of wear and tear.
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B01M66H7GC” cloaking=”default” height=”500″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/916csf4sIYL._SP500_.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”250″]
Made from recycled plastic bottles, this eco-friendly dog harness alternative is probably one of the most comfortable you’ll find on the market. The ultra-light material is breathable, soft, and comfortable, ensuring a pleasant experience for your beloved pooch.
The EcoBark Maximum Comfort & Control Dog Harness features a sleek, slim design that applies very little pressure on your dog’s body. With a smart no pull and no choke design, this harness provides your pup the highest level of safety and comfort.