When puppies get dirty, it’s up to you to clean them!
Splashing through the mud puddles, digging in the compost bin or (and we really hope this isn’t the reason) a close encounter with a skunk left you with a very stinky puppy.
Whether you need to remove the stink, moisturize the skin or treat a flea infestation, we have some excellent shampoo suggestions for puppies on our list below. Check them out!
Remember, our number one tip as you shop is to go natural. Spend a bit more for a quality shampoo and ditch the grocery store finds that do absolutely nothing for your dog.
Consider the Following when Buying Puppy Shampoo
The best puppy shampoo is much like baby shampoo: a tearless formula that is gentle on skin.
Here are a few other things to consider before you make your selection:
- Medicated. If your puppy has a skin condition or an insect infestation (fleas, ticks, etc.), then you will need a specially medicated shampoo.
Your vet will tell you which ones to buy (or they will prescribe one) if your puppy has special needs. For more common problems, like fleas or dry skin, the sky is the limit.
- pH. Look for shampoos that have a balanced pH level (dog skin has a pH level of around 6.2-7.4). This is important for both puppies and adults because using the wrong shampoo (such as human shampoo or soap) can cause their skin dry out.
Top 6 Best Shampoos for Puppies Table
|1. Natural Pet Shampoo for Dogs Puppies & Cat||8 oz.||$$$||4.7|
|2. Earthbath All Natural Pet Shampoo||16 oz.||$$$||4.6|
|3. Oster Oatmeal Naturals Shampoo||18 oz.||$$||4.6|
|4. Crazy Dog Baby Dog Shampoo||12 oz.||$$||4.6|
|5. Wahl 100% Natural Pet Shampoo||24 oz.||$||4.6|
|6. OxGord Organic Oatmeal Dog Shampoo & Conditioner||20 oz.||$$$$||4.5|
All natural and organic shampoos are safest for dogs, which is why you won’t find any of the cheap grocery store brands on our list above. Spending a little more on a quality shampoo will save your pup from skin problems and save your wallet from expensive vet bills and treatments!
Here are a few ingredients to take note of as you compare shampoos:
- Artificial Scents. If it is artificial, then don’t put it on your dog. Artificial fragrances and scents that some manufacturers add to shampoos are only irritants. Sure, they may smell great, but they won’t help your dog.
Natural plant-derived scents, such as lavender, are safe.
- Oatmeal. Oatmeal is great for both humans and canines.
It soothes, nourishes and moisturizes the skin, so if you have a puppy that’s scratching a lot, a shampoo with oatmeal in it is a great choice.
- Lemongrass. Natural citrus smells are great for repelling fleas, ticks and mosquitos. In the warmer months, it’s a great idea to give your puppy an occasional bath with something like Pet Pleasant (number one on our list) that helps naturally repel the pests.
Top 3 Best Puppy Shampoo Reviews
If your puppy spends a lot of time outdoors or in wooded areas, a shampoo like this is great to have on hand.
The pure lemongrass and citronella essential oils help to naturally repel ticks, fleas and mosquitos, and you can also use it on cats or adult dogs!
There are no parabens, sulfates or artificial fragrances in the formula and the bottle is BPA-free. It is great for puppies with sensitive skin or dry skin that needs a little extra moisture. It won’t dry them out or build up on their skin between washings. It deodorizes, too!
Definitely the best puppy shampoo on our list. Give it a try!
This shampoo, made of 100% biodegradable all-natural ingredients, is another excellent choice for puppies.
It is pH-balanced and great for sensitive skin, however we did notice that they use a baby-fresh cherry essence. It doesn’t seem to be an issue for dogs with dry, sensitive skin, however, because dog owners who have used it notice great improvements.
It doesn’t contain soap, gluten, DEA, parabens, synthetic dyes or perfumes phthalates or enzymes. Instead, they’ve used coconut-based and plant-derived cleansers to help you clean your puppy.
Another great shampoo that puppy owners love (safe for puppies over 6 weeks old).
As we mentioned, an oatmeal bath is an excellent choice for puppies with dry skin, and Oster makes an excellent natural shampoo that has oatmeal and it is pH-balanced. Perfect!
It also contains Vitamins A, B, D and E to promote a healthy skin and coat. No dyes, parabens or alcohol used!
The scent is baby powder. Fresh and clean but not overpowering!
If you have a longhaired puppy, this shampoo seems to be extra helpful for matt removal!