Can Dogs Eat Apples: Do you wonder if the apple is good for dogs? If it can hurt your Dog or not? The truth is that it is one of the most recommended fruits for dogs for the multiple benefits it offers and the different uses we can get from it.
However, we must be clear about certain factors when feeding apple to our dog, which will be mentioned throughout this article. So keep reading to see if the dogs can eat an apple or not. The good health it provides and in the right amounts.
Keep reading this article and discover if dogs can eat an apple. We also explained the benefits of apple for dogs and the recommended dose. Stay tuned and read the complete article…
Can Dogs Eat Apple?
The answer to this question can dogs eat apple is YES, but in moderation only. Apple is good fruit and recommended for dogs because of the enormous amount of benefits it offers. Still, it is a food that dogs consume in moderation only because of its sugar content.
Can Dogs Eat Raw Apple?
Yes, Dogs can eat a raw apple as well. We can offer the raw apple directly as if it were a prize. Although it can also be used to include it in different homemade recipes or to make prizes for him at homes such as delicious apple and carrot dog biscuits.
Of course, the seeds of the apple are very harmful to dogs because of its amygdalin content (composed of sugar, hydrocyanic acid, and benzaldehyde). This compound was believed to be beneficial for health but several studies have shown that it is a potentially toxic glycoside.
Benefits of Apple for Dogs
The apple is one of the most popular fruits both for humans and dogs. Mainly due to the many benefits and uses it offers. These are the best 10 benefits and uses of the apple for dogs
- Help hydrate your dog as it is mainly composed of water.
- It is a depurative fruit indicated for overweight dogs or for those who suffer from kidney problems. In this case, it is advisable to consult with the veterinarian.
- Unlike other foods, the apple does not usually cause allergies or hypersensitivity. So it is indicated for dogs that suffer from these types of health problems.
- It is rich in vitamin C, carotenoids, vitamin A and folic acid. So you will see a much healthier coat and dermis.
- It has a high content of potassium, essential for neuromuscular activity, hydroelectricity balance and for the transmission of nerve impulses.
- It also contains other minerals, such as phosphorus, magnesium, and calcium. Essential for the proper functioning of the body.
- You can replace the dental snacks by apple as they strengthen and clean the teeth. In addition to keeping your dog entertained.
- Its antioxidant properties are known which help prevent and delay health problems such as cancer or canine brain aging.
- Contains tannins, compounds with anti-inflammatory properties. Which act directly on the irritated gastric mucosa.
- By offering this food at night, you help your dog to rest better.
These are some of the benefits of the apples for dogs. These are the reasons why we can include this food in your dog’s diet or as an occasional supplement to a diet based on the feed. Here are some tips so you know how and how much to offer your dog, as well as its use to treat diarrhea or constipation.
Recommended Dose and How many Times to Give
Although the apple is good fruit and beneficial for dogs. The truth is that it is a food that should not be abused. If we review the composition of an apple we can see that it consists mainly of water, minerals, and carbohydrates highlighting: fructose, glucose and sucrose, sugars.
High consumption of sugar can favor the appearance of diabetes in the dog which would cause that it needed injections of insulin, a change of diet and even the veterinarian could suggest to carry out the sterilization. Ideally, the apple is a reward or punctual food supplement which can be offered two or three times a week. A small apple, with skin but without seeds is enough for your best friend to enjoy and have a good time.
But calm, if it seems that your dog is excited about fruits and vegetables. You have many other options such as potatoes, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, zucchini, coconut or melon. Remember that dogs are not strict carnivores, they can also consume all kinds of beneficial fruits and vegetables.
- Can dogs eat bones
- Clean dog ears at home
- Diet for diabetic dogs homemade
- Why do dogs howl together
- How often should I feed my puppy
Is Apple Good for Dogs with Diarrhea?
The apple is one of the most used home remedies for diarrhea in the dog. It is an excellent intestinal regulator due to pectin, a type of fiber that it possesses. But the most surprising thing is that it is also a food indicated for constipation in which case it must be offered raw.
Pectin is present in many fruits and vegetables such as carrots, beans, and even spirulina popular algae today. This type of fiber present in the skin is capable of absorbing gastric juices, eliminating toxins and harmful cholesterol. For all these reasons, the apple is indicated in various intestinal problems such as gastritis, intestinal inflammation or colitis.
How to Give an Apple to a Dog with Diarrhea?
To treat diarrhea, the most advisable is to cook the apple, steamed, boiled or baked as this way dogs can digest and assimilate more easily.
We also recommend including the skin (because there are vitamins) but remove the seeds which are toxic. After cooking the apple, we recommend crushing it until it has a texture similar to that of the compote.
Finally, if your dog seems not to accept the applesauce, you can try to mix it with boiled chicken pieces (without salt or spices) to increase the palatability and make the food more appetizing.
Finally, You have got complete information about can dogs eat apple or not. Along with that, we have explained the best benefits of apples for dogs. We hope you like the article and willing to share the article with your friends and families at social media networks. Feel free to ask your questions in the comment box below. Stay tuned to dogsfud for more dog articles. If have any request to cover us on any topic, you can drop your request from the contact us page.