Can You Give CBD Oil To Dogs?
Our website is supported by our users. We sometimes earn affiliate links when you click through the affiliate links on our websiteContact us for Questions
Here is a subject I have wanted to write about for quite a while. I know people who swear by CBD Oil, especially around Christmas and New Year, when there are fireworks everywhere and their dogs are shaking in fear. CBD has taken off in a massive way, and it can be purchased just about everywhere, so I have done my research and have put pen to paper so to speak. So without further ado, can you give CBD oil to dogs?
What is CBD Oil?
When one hears of cannabidoil, cannabis oil, or simply CBD oil, it is easy to automatically think of marijuana. CBD is actually a compound found in cannabis and hemp. In most cases, CBD does not contain the compound delta-9-tetrahydrocannabimol (THC) that gives marijuana its psychoactive properties. The majority of CBD products are actually derived from hemp, not marijuana.
The key to using CBD oil safely for dogs is to ensure the right dosage that balances little-to-no THC in the mix. This depends on the nature of the product, if it contains little or no THC, then the dog is not going to get high.
How Does CBD Effect Dogs?
Up to now there have been no long term studies completed on the effect CBD has on dogs. Scientists have discovered that the cannabinoids react with the endocannabinoid receptors located in the central nervous system. These help maintain balance in the body and keep it in a normal healthy state.
Which Health Issues Can CBD Treat?
As there is no specific scientific data available, it is hard to say. There is certainly plenty of evidence from dog owners that suggests it treats pain and it can control seizures. Dog specialists have reported that CBD has excellent anti-inflammatory properties, anti-nausea effects, cardiac benefits, appetite stimulation, anti-anxiety impact, and for possible anti-cancer benefits.
Most older dogs experience anxiety and pain, especially those who are suffering with arthritis and other conditions brought on by old age. There are many common medications for this, but they eventually tend to lose effectiveness, which impacts dogs’ quality of life. This is where some pet owners start to swear by the effects of CBD oil.
CBD oil reduces anxiety in many pets, including separation anxiety and thunder phobia. That is where people have found it useful when their pets are around fireworks. It can also act as an agent against inflammation, making it a good soothing element for dogs suffering from arthritis.
Possible Side Effects of CBD
As there is insufficient evidence for dogs, these side effects are based on how it affects humans.
- Dry Mouth: Researchers have found that CBD decreases the production of saliva. Therefore, you would see your dog with an increased thirst.
- Drowsiness: CBD is often used to treat anxiety in dogs. The calming effect can cause slight drowsiness, especially when using higher doses.
- Low Blood Pressure: High doses have been known to cause a temporary drop in blood pressure. Even though a drop is small it may create a feeling of light headiness.
One of the most important factors you need to think about is the dosage. The dosage will depend upon which CBD Oil you have purchased, the weight and age of your dog, what you are hoping to treat and various other factors. There are plenty of online calculators available and most are linked to different products.
Buying Your CBD Products
If you decide that you should try CBD as a treatment for your loved one, there a few things you should bear in mind when purchasing CBD oil.
- Organic: You should try to buy organic CBD. If it’s not possible make sure it doesn’t contain and pesticides or fungicides.
- Buy CBD as a liquid: You can buy plenty of treats containing CBD, but the best way to administer is as an oil or tincture.
- Analysis: The manufacturer should provide a certificate telling you how much CBND is in the product. You will also need to check the data to ensure there is little or no THC in the product.
- Price: Unfortunately it’s the age-old saying that quality comes at a higher price. The higher the purity and quality the more you will pay. If you do choose a cheaper product, you MUST ensure it does not have toxic substances like pestices and herbicides, and that it is free from additives.
The idea of your dog CBD may seem scary, but only if you don’t know the difference between CBD oil and other cannabis products.
Dog owners need to overcome the big misconception about CBD oil. Most people believe that manufacturers create CBD oil products equally. Unfortunately farming and production processes differ given the lack of regulation. Therefore, you must read the label before buying and check the reviews from people have purchased the product in the past.
CBD oils for dogs comes mostly from hemp. The final product should have very little or no trace of THC. CBD oil is safe for most dogs in the right doses and with the right products. However, it is advisable to speak to your vet before you give your dog any CBD. Your vet can advise you about your individual dog and give you more information about administering it safely.
You can buy CBD oil as over-the-counter items since they are not considered controlled substances.
Please see below the four best selling products available on Amazon.co.uk.
These are the four best selling products available now on Amazon.com
Are you considering using CBD oil for your dogs? Have you or a friend used CBD in the past and how did your dog react? I would be most interested to hear from you.
All the best for now,