Enter your search term

Search by title or post keyword

9 Signs Your Dog Has Been Poisoned

You’ll have a lot of responsibilities on your hands once you choose to become a dog owner. Sure, having one can improve your life in many ways; but as a dog owner, you’re expected to take care of your pet and ensure that they stay happy and healthy all the time.

Aside from making sure that your dog gets enough exercise and eats the right food, you should also make sure that they’re safe from any kind of poisons. Poisoning can adversely affect your dog’s health, and can even lead to death. The longer you leave the problem unaddressed, the less chances your dog will have of surviving.

9 Signs Your Dog Has Been Poisoned

Dogs can’t directly communicate with their owners, which is why you should look out for these signs as these can mean that your dog has been poisoned:

1. Excessive Vomiting

Dogs will usually vomit in order to clear out their stomachs if they’ve eaten or drank anything poisonous. If your dog continues to vomit for days and doesn’t even touch their dog bowls even if you include their favorite treats from Healthy Petables, it could be a symptom of poisoning, so make sure to take them to the vet right away.

Excessive vomiting can cause dehydration in dogs, causing their eyes, nose and mouth to look dry. Dehydration can also become the reason why your dog’s skin will lose its elasticity, increasing their susceptibility to common skin conditions.

2. Lethargy

Dogs are naturally very energetic. Often, they would jump for joy whenever you take their leashes out or play with their favorite toys. This is especially true if you’re taking care of a puppy. However, if your pet seems to be uninterested in doing all of these things, be wary as lethargy is another sign of dog poisoning.

A dog who has been poisoned will experience a lack of energy. This is usually caused by the pain and discomfort from the poisonous food or drink. Over time, lethargy can worsen and cause loss of appetite and vomiting. In some cases, your pet may also experience seizures along with lethargy.

3. Blood In Urine

One of the most common signs of dog poisoning is blood in the urine. This is caused by high levels of potassium in the urine, which is usually the result of a prolonged exposure to poison. Your dog’s urine can speak volumes about their health, which is why you should always check on them after they’ve finished peeing.

To rule out other possible causes of this symptom, take your pet to the vet right away, and get him checked. If you think the cause of the blood in the urine is indeed poisoning, your vet may give you some tests to determine whether or not you have poisoned your dog.

4. Loss Of Coordination

Loss of coordination is another very common symptom associated with poison. This is a result of the effects of the toxins that enter the body from the contaminated food or drink.

For you to determine whether your dog has lost their coordination, pay attention to how they move or stand up. Is your dog unsteady on their feet? Is your dog having a hard time standing up? If you answered “yes” to both of these questions, then your dog might be suffering from loss of coordination because of poisoning.

If you’re an owner, it’s imperative that you’re aware of the symptoms that can arise due to it. You should never ignore these symptoms even if your pet seems to be coping well, as these can significantly affect your dog’s personality and cause behavioral problems.

5. Labored Breathing Or Wheezing

Another sign that could be indicative of poisoning is labored breathing or wheezing. These are typically accompanied by an unusually long and painful coughing. As a dog owner, it’s important to note if your dog shows this symptom because any disruption on your pet’s breathing can take a toll on their health and cause death when left untreated.

If you see your dog suffering from labored breathing or wheezing even without engaging in too much physical activities, you should take them to the vet immediately.

6. Sudden Changes In Behavior

A common sign that your dog is poisoned is when they begin to change their behavior. If your dog starts behaving oddly in public or at home, then it’s probably time to think about what kind of food your dog recently ate. A sudden change of behavior is a cause for concern, especially if your dog usually loves to be around and play with different people.

Pay attention to your dog’s behavior and check if they start acting strange or nervous. If your dog starts to act like this or exhibits any other abnormal behavior, then something isn’t right. When your dog begins to run away when they’re around people, then it’s possible that your dog has eaten something toxic and that this food is causing too much pain or discomfort to them.

When you notice your dog acting strange or anxious, try calling the vet right away. Your vet will be able to tell you what you should do next.

7. Seizures

Seizures are another sign that your dog has been poisoned. However, unlike all of the mentioned signs in this article, seizures are very dangerous. Seizures are often characterized in sudden changes of behavior or even loss of consciousness. Seizures in dogs can be fatal if not treated properly.

Seizure in dogs is usually a signal that your furry friend is experiencing life-threatening symptoms due to poisoning. In some cases, seizures can also be a sign of all sorts of different things such as hyperventilation, convulsions, or coma in dogs.

To diagnose the cause of seizure in your dog, it’s important for you to have your vet perform a blood test as soon as possible. These tests will enable you to determine whether your dog suffers from poisoning or other health conditions.

8. Gastrointestinal Distress

The most common signs of poisonings in dogs are gastrointestinal distress. If your dog has diarrhea, they should be examined by a vet as soon as possible. Diarrhea can eventually cause dehydration in your dog and even severe abdominal pain. This pain can worsen to the point where your dog can no longer move or eat.

Another sign of diarrhea is a decrease in their appetite. If you notice this in your dog, you need to have them evaluated as soon as possible. Your veterinarian will be able to determine the exact cause of the diarrhea and determine what treatment should be given to your dog. If it’s determined that poisoning was the cause of the diarrhea, the vet may recommend a course of antibiotics.

9. Loss Of Appetite

The next sign of poisoning in dogs will be loss of appetite. This will happen if there is an overdose of poison in your dog’s body. Poison can have adverse effects to your dog to the point that it can throw off their body’s natual balance, and make them lose their interest to eat. Loss of appetite can become a serious problem, especially if your dog is a senior or sickly.

Problems concerning your dog’s appetite should be treated as soon as possible because when left untreated, this can result in certain deficiencies. When your dog doesn’t eat, their bodies will become weak and more prone to illnesses and diseases.

Loss of appetite can happen quickly, which is why you should take your dog to the vet to be checked for an overdose of poison. The sooner you get your dog checked by the vets, the sooner your dog will start eating again.

How Can You Prevent Your Dog From Being Poisoned?

Dogs are very similar to human beings but this doesn’t mean that your furry friend is allowed to eat what you’re eating and engage in the same activities. As a pet owner, you’re responsible for ensuring that your dog stays safe from any kind of poison that might be present in their surroundings.

Contrary to popular belief, making sure that your dog is free from any kind of poison is actually an achievable task. One of the best tips that you can try out is by simply keeping an eye on your dog and seeking professional help the moment you notice anything strange. If your dog suddenly starts acting funny, then it’s probably because they’ve been exposed to something poisonous.

You should try to look at your dog closely and check if they’re constantly sniffing around or even has a strange smell in its mouth. Dogs can get poisoned by substances that has entered their body through the foods they eat – and most often than not, your dog isn’t even aware that they’re already eating something poisonous. The minute you suspect something is wrong, take them to the vet right away.

Look For Solutions ASAP

Once you’ve ticked any of the signs listed in this article, rush your dog to the nearest vet as soon as possible. Time is of the essence when dealing with dog poisoning, so make sure that you seek professional help the moment you notice that your dog is acting strange.

Leave a Comment