Friends, we would like to start off by applauding you for choosing to use natural cat litter! So many products out there have a negative impact on the environment so we love that you’re looking for something that is environmentally-friendly. Bravo!
Our list below highlights the some of the best natural cat litter brands and we also give you the scoop (literally!) on the difference between the materials used in them.
Let’s begin by looking at the different types and then show you our favorite brands.
Here are the main types of materials used in natural cat litters:
- Corn. Corn or litters mixed with corn and other natural materials seem to be a favorite among cat owners. It clumps quite well, which makes it easier to clean the litter box. It controls odor to an extent, but you might need to clean the litter box out more frequently in order to keep things fresh.
- Wheat. Wheat is another option. We’ll focus on a wheat-based litter in our reviews below so head on down to find out more about the pros and cons!
- Walnut. Walnut-based litter is also good at clumping and it creates little-to-no dust particles. It’s good at eliminating odors and you can flush it. Both positive features!
- Paper. While this is an excellent choice for those of you who can’t stand the dust, it does disappoint in the clumping and odor department. Some cats don’t like the texture and won’t use it (but that could happen with any pellet-shaped litter).
This is a particular product and doesn’t work for some, but others seem to rave about it. Definitely worth a try!
- Wood. Pine and cedar wood are favored for this type of litter. Obviously if it’s in the form of a pellet, it’s not going to offer you any sort of clumping power, but it is good at controlling the odor.
So which is the best natural cat litter to use? Probably one that has a mixture of these materials. Most often you’ll find corn and wood used together while others use one ingredient.
You actually might find that using a mixture of products yields the best results. You could try a base layer of one that clumps really well, followed by another layer of something that works better on odors.
Top 6 Natural Cat Litters Table
If you’re not already sold on using a natural cat litter because you’ve read somewhere that one doesn’t clump well and another isn’t as good at absorbing odors, then remember all of the positive reasons to use them:
- No Dust. No dust in your home and no dust on your cat’s paws when they clean their paws. If a cat steps out of the litter box and begins cleaning its paws, then whatever it stepped in will be sent down the hatch. Would you rather have them cleaning off a biodegradable and non-toxic substance or a chemical filled clay one that isn’t good for their systems?
- Flushable. One of the best things about these types of litters is that you can flush them right down the toilet.
Most natural litter brands suggest that you let the litter sit in the toilet bowl for 15-20 minutes before flushing. This will help the particles to loosen up and break down as you flush them, preventing clogs and plugged pipes.
Top 3 Best Natural Cat Litter Reviews
[easyazon_link asin=”B011O35BV4″ locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]1. sWheat Scoop Multi Cat Litter[/easyazon_link]
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B011O35BV4″ cloaking=”default” height=”250″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51psMhppApL.SP500.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”200″]
This is the wheat litter we mentioned earlier.
This will clump really well since the particles are finer than pellets and we like that you can flush it down the toilet. Swheat does offer you some particular instructions about how to properly dispose of the litter down the toilet and you should definitely read them.
Some find that it does cause a bit of dust (it is a grain, after all), but out of all of the natural cat litters, it is a favorite of cat owners.
[easyazon_link asin=”B007ZPX70I” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]2. WORLD’S BEST Clumping Litter[/easyazon_link]
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B007ZPX70I” cloaking=”default” height=”250″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81pFVQrLoJL.SP500.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”250″]
There are mixed feelings about this litter, but we definitely feel that it earns the title of “World’s Best Cat Litter!”
It’s a mixture of wood and corn, meaning that you get the benefits of both in one bag. As the bag states, it clumps, it controls odors and it is 99% dust-free (you have to expect a little dust from a plant-based product).
You might experience a little tracking around the house (bits of corn), but if you have a good litter mat in front of the box, this will probably be a minimum.
[easyazon_link asin=”B0009YUEG2″ locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”senappblo-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]3. Feline Pine Original Cat Litter[/easyazon_link]
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”right” asin=”B0009YUEG2″ cloaking=”default” height=”250″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51rGTzmTWdL.SP500.jpg” tag=”senappblo-20″ width=”200″]
You should know that Feline Pine litter comes in pellets, so if you have a picky cat, it may not like this. They also make a clumping formula if you’re interested.
This litter is pretty good at controlling odor but it can get a bit dusty. Some cat owners love it and those with cats that have allergies find that it has reduced symptoms a bit.
If you’ve already tried this brand and didn’t have any luck, try some of the other great natural options on our list. All of them are environmentally friendly!